APPOINTMENT SYSTEM CHANGES DUE TO CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) PANDEMIC
We have taken the decision to change our appointment system and how we make appointments. This is to ensure we continue to look after our patients in the safest possible way. We are following advice from NHS England, Public Health England and the Health Secretary.
From Monday 16th March we have changed how we make appointments for future bookings to ensure that we are prepared and you are protected.
What If I have an appointment that’s already booked?
- If you have an appointment that is already booked you will be contacted by the practice to see if the appointment is required.
- If the appointment is still required an appointment will be made with a clinician via telephone or video
- If the clinician deems that you need to be seen face to face or examined, an appointment will be made for you.
What if I need to make a new appointment?
- If you contact the practice by telephone to book an appointment, the staff will book you for a telephone or video consultation
- Appointments booked online may be suspended or converted to telephone or video consultations only
Please do not come to the surgery to make an appointment, INSTEAD call us as explained below:
What If I already have an appointment and I am feeling ill and think I have Covid-19?
- Symptoms of Coronavirus commonly include fever, a persistent cough, shortness of breath, as well as other flu-like symptoms.
- If you already have an appointment booked with us – don’t worry, the appointment will be converted to a telephone or video consultation
- If you need to be seen following the phone call the clinician will arrange an appointment. If you come to the surgery please do not be alarmed if the doctor or nurse seeing you is wearing a mask, gloves or taking other precautions.
- In accordance with the Prime Minister and Chief Medical Officer’s speech on Wednesday, 12 March, anyone with a new persistent cough or high temperature is now advised to self-isolate for seven days.
If I feel ill and need an urgent appointment
If you think your problem is urgent and you need to be seen, please call the surgery as you normally would. The practice is OPEN and you will be contacted by a clinician for a telephone or video assessment and if necessary you will be seen you as soon as possible.
What If I have an appointment but want to avoid coming to the surgery?
If you have a routine appointment and are feeling well, but wish to avoid coming into the surgery (which we recommend) please:
- Cancel the appointment online
- Call the surgery and ask them to book you a telephone appointment instead.
How Do I make a Routine appointment?
For non-urgent medical matters we are still able to care for you. However, we need to do things slightly differently to protect you from Coronavirus.
For all of the services listed below please call the surgery – WE ARE OPEN AND HERE TO HELP:
- Telephone and face-to-face appointments
- Appointments for blood tests, any other tests, dressings, wound care, smears, family planning, vaccinations or other routine procedures
- Any medical and medication advice or queries.
ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS:
- Call the Galleries Health Centre, Barmston Medical Centre, Pennywell Medical Centre on 0191 5438807, we are here and ready to help
- Call the South Hylton Surgery on 0191 5341007, we are here and ready to help
- The staff will be able to assist you with all your queries
eConsult allows patients who are currently registered at the Practice to consult with a clinician online, and offers alternatives to calling or coming into the surgery for common, more minor problems. You can also request repeat sicknotes and test results via eConsult. Please log on to https://www.sunderlandgpalliance.co.uk/medical-practice/ then click on the practice of your choice and then the eConsult banner.
We will soon be sending details of how you can book a video consultation with a doctor or nurse. If this is something you would like to do please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “PLEASE ADD ME TO EMAIL LIST FOR SETTING UP VIDEO CONSULTATIONS”. Please include your name, date of birth and the first line of your address. We will be sending out detailed information about this very soon.